Thursday, January 4, 2018

2018 Goals


The view out of my office window today
I don't really do New Year's Resolutions.  I guess that to me they have too much drama associated with them.  But this year I wanted to set some goals for myself.  Things that I would like to accomplish or improve this year, but without the all or nothing approach.

Reading
Growing up I was always a voracious reader, but as I got older I found myself putting reading on a back-burner.  This year, besides reading the book for my monthly book club, I want to complete the 2018 Reading Challenge over at Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Finding time to read is going to take some creativity, but I've already figured out a way to carve out about 30 minutes each weekday.  I read while I get a power walk in.

Focus
I have a tendency to multi-task, but I'm learning that I'm more efficient and effective when I don't.  So this year I want to try and focus on one task at a time, instead of 2 or 3, plus emails as they pop up.  I'm trying time blocking and I bought a time cube from Amazon, which I am not so patiently waiting to arrive.  I ordered it in purple so it would also be pretty as it sits on my desk.  So far, the time blocking is working okay, though granted I'm only two days into it.

Genealogy
I started dabbling a bit in genealogy last year, but I got massively side-tracked last year and haven't really done anything with it.  I need to figure out a good time to set aside each week to work on it. 

Yoga
I've been very happy with the workouts that I've been doing from Fitness Blender, but I also want to do more yoga to help with flexibility.  My hips still give me some issues since the chemo, and I'm hoping that this will help.

Writing and Blogging
As I mentioned in my last post, I really want to get back in to writing and blogging.  I think that I need to start just carrying a small notebook with me at all times so that I can jot down ideas as they come to me. 

So those are my goals for 2018.  What are some of yours?

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, Michelle.

    Like you, reading has taken a back seat. I am doing 18 books for 2018 with a friend's dd. We have a special bond and this will satisfy both of our crazy schedules.

    I am planning on running (walking, hiking, mostly running though) 2018 miles this year. It is actually right around what I normally do anyhow, but I am also going to try and improve some of my times consistently. I seem to do really well when frustrations and stress are particularly high...

    Which leads me into reducing stress...a never ending goal. I had a couple of lightbulb moments recently, however, that I hope will help on improving on that goal.

    I just remembered I am supposed to pick a them or focus word for the year...I need to get on that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you had a light bulb moment. And good luck with your goals.

      Delete
  2. I don't set goals as I really don't have anything I desire to do more of? I did set a goal last month to embrace winter and not just impatiently wait for spring. A 20 minute walk each say outside helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embracing winter and not being impatient for spring is a good goal :)

      Delete