Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Cancer Update: Closing a Chapter

This part of my breast cancer journey is winding down and coming to a close.  I had the second stage of my reconstruction on June 17th and everything is healing nicely.  I have three more Herceptin treatments and then that’s done as well. 


The past 13 months have been a journey and a half.  At times terrifying, at times incredible, it has mostly been a time of learning – learning about myself, and learning to rely on God.  I’ve seen God work so magnificently through this, providing me with a peace and a joy that only He can provide. 

Jim has been my rock through all of this.  He has taken care of me when the chemo wiped me out and when I’ve been recovering from surgery.  He has also been my researcher, filtering through information so that I could be informed without being overwhelmed.

The support of family and friends has been amazing.  From cards, to meals, to people taking me to appointments, I have felt so loved and cared for throughout this time.  And knowing that I was being prayed for has brought such a peace.

I’ve learned a lot about myself through this.  I’ve learned that sometimes being stubborn is what allows you to recover quicker and that sometimes even the most stubborn person has to give in and rest.  I’m also learning to approach life and others with grace.  And I’m learning that showing love is more important than being right.


As I move forward, I am also learning to embrace my passions and I am beginning the journey of bringing a dream into the light of reality.  It has long been a dream of mine to blog.  I’ve tried a few times, but have never found my voice.  The breast cancer has helped me with that.  So, now this space will transition from a place where I keep people updated on my health to a place where I write about things that I am passionate about.  I hope that you will join me on my next blogging adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post from a beautiful person! So happy that you are now on the 'other side' of this trial. Love the reminder that 'showing love is more important than being right'. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad for your healing. Here's to fulfilling your dream and beyond. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad for your strength and God's hand in your journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written. Celebrate the joy and I look forward to your next adventures. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! You're one of the first friends I made online after moving to Kuwait and I've followed your journey with prayer. I'm looking forward to following this next one. :)

    ReplyDelete